Our low-temperature Malcomizing operation for stainless steel produces a durable hardened surface on finished surfaces that have been machined and properly pretreated. While Malcomizing is similar to gas nitriding, it does require the addition of an activator to destroy the protective oxide layer on stainless steel and then hardens this surface through the diffusion of nitrogen.
- Excellent anti-galling, anti-welding and anti-seizing properties
- Very high hardness (700-1000 HV depending on material being treated)
- Case depths typically .005″ to .010″ deep
- Superior wear thermal fatigue resistance
- Good resistance to case softening at service temperatures up to 1000° F